Tuesday, December 2, 2014

SSU Professor Exhibits Paintings

Karla-Sue C. Marriott, professor and coordinator of forensic science and chemistry at Savannah State University will exhibit her latest paintings January 19 - February 20, Monday through Friday, 10 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. in the gallery located in the Social Sciences Building. An opening reception will be held on Friday, January 20th at 6:00 p.m.

The exhibit, entitled Dancing with Nature: Being Human, focuses on naturalistic works that include selections and treatment of subject matter from nature.

Dr. Marriott states:
“I started out dabbling just for fun. I needed something different to do outside of my profession as a chemist. If anything is to be fun, there has to be freedom, no limitations, and no time constraints. So, in January 2010, I decided to try painting with acrylic on canvas. I did not know what to paint and I didn’t know how to paint. So, I decided I would try abstract. Abstract eventually evolved into me painting images that represented feelings. In October 2013, I challenged myself with portraits. My very first portrait, titled “Hemingway” was a blissful experience, during which I painted energized all night long until morning for four days straight while on fall break. With that experience, I knew there was no turning back. In January 2014, I stepped out into my backyard, I looked up, and I saw images formed by the clouds. I fell in love. That initiated my first piece inspired by nature titled “Heavenly Love.""