Monday, June 20, 2016

Just Keep Swimming


Like many of his classmates, Freshman Thierry Sawadogo has a big trip planned this summer. But his is not a vacation. He will be swimming for Burkina Faso in the Olympics in Rio.

A native of Ouagadougou, Thierry admits competitive swimming is not a popular sport there. “Everything is about soccer,” he says. It’s one of the main reasons he decided to come to the United States to study – so he could keep swimming.

He was eight years old when he first got in the pool. At 6'8" and 21 years old, he’s the best in his country. “I grew up watching Michael Phelps. I just knew I had to swim like him.”

Thierry is studying computer science technology at Savannah State. He sees it as a way to work in a field he loves but also to bring innovation to his homeland. “Since my childhood, I loved everything about electronics. Later, I would like to open my own business in my country and help industry build software and applications.”


Thierry trains everyday, before and after classes. “I just stay focused on my main goal. And remember there are people who believe in me, who are counting on me.”

Thierry will be competing under the flag of his country – “I love the U.S. but Burkina Faso… that is my home.” – at the summer Olympics in the 50m freestyle. “I’m a bit scared. It’s a big event, the dream of every athlete.”

Even with the facilities and training he has in America, he knows that he is not a threat to someone like Ryan Lochte this year. “But I will take notes for future competitions. And I will be ready for Tokyo in 2020."